Player

Listen or Download:

Thursday, October 19, 2006

To be or not to be ... my question to the CBC

OK, I'm confused.

Is our public broadcaster a media organization that impartially informs the public, or a public advocacy organization for influencing Canadian society?

On the one hand, it advocates for such social justice issues as working to stop bullying, and publishes stories like this one about a ventriloquist cop who teaches kids not to bully.

Yet, on the other hand, it has no qualms about publishing a news story about a video game that encourages players to become better at bullying.

So what I don't understand is, if the CBC is advocating to stop a certain behaviour, why give free publicity to a commercial venture that encourages it? Strikes me as rather inconsistent, if not disingenuous, to be doing both.

And it really makes me resent the tax dollars I am forced to donate to the CBC. I could put them to far better use on my own program ... where I take great pains to be consistent.

No comments:

Featured Post

Giving Tuesday - Worthy Ukrainian (and other) causes to support

After the excitement of Black Friday and Cyber Monday subsides, along comes Giving Tuesday. Also known as the Global Day of Giving, or in Uk...