Player

Listen or Download:

Monday, December 03, 2007

My Excellent Edmonton Adventure - Part VI: All good things must end

Well, I figured that by Friday evening Molly Anne would need a break from gallivanting me all around Edmonton and area for the past 3 days. So it was the perfect time to meet with my esteemed colleague, the award-winning, veteran Ukrainian broadcaster Roman Brytan of World FM (formerly CKER) for some relaxing conversation over dinner after he finished Friday's Radio Zhurnal.

So there I was, chatting with him in the studio between his on-air moments and innocently waiting for him to wrap up the program. Then, with 3 minutes left on the clock, he decides to chat on-air. Ah, the hazards of live radio with a consummate professional at the controls!

On Saturday after saying goodbye to my fabulous hosts, I had coffee with Freddie Curatolo who kindly let me pick his brains about the business side of art. Then my sister and I had another coffee with Maksym Protskiv, former editor of Welcome to Ukraine Magazine, who is in Edmonton for a while. It was Maksym who put me in touch with Oleh Skrypka of Vopli Vidopliassova (a cyber-relationship that has significantly increased my music library holdings!) and I certainly hope that's not the last time we meet. My sister and I both found Maksym an absolute delight!

Then a chatty 2.5 hour drive to Calgary and a nice, quiet family visit before coming back to Vancouver and gobs of heavy snow being washed away by pouring rain.

It was exhausting but exhilarating, and I'd do it all again in an instant. Thanks Molly, and everyone else who made my trip so magical. It truly was an excellent adventure.

4 comments:

Vasyl Pawlowsky said...

Pawlina,

I'm glad you met Maksym, he is a great guy! I met him a number of years ago and we are in touch fairly regularly.

Vasyl

Taras said...

Wow!!! Looks like I missed a whole blogstorm of travel chronicles! Thank you for all these wonderful and enlightening posts on the state of affairs in the Ukrainian community of Alberta!

Pawlina said...

Hi Vasyl,

Yes he certainly is, and thanks for putting us in touch!

P.

Pawlina said...

Hi Taras,

You're very welcome, glad to share that fabulous experience!

P.

Featured Post

Giving Tuesday - Worthy Ukrainian (and other) causes to support

After the excitement of Black Friday and Cyber Monday subsides, along comes Giving Tuesday. Also known as the Global Day of Giving, or in Uk...